7th ASIAN INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC LAW NETWORK (AIELN) CONFERENCE
Building a Sustainable Future: New Asian Regionalism in International Economic Law
Singapore Management University
9-10 December 2021 (Webinar via Zoom)
Co-organized by the Centre for Commercial Law in Asia of the Singapore Management University (SMU) Yong Pung How School of Law and the Asian International Economic Law Network (AIELN) – the Asian Branch of the Society of International Economic Law (SIEL) with the support of the Asian Center for WTO & International Health Law and Policy of National Taiwan University College of Law and the Sumitomo Foundation of Japan.
The co-organizers will hold the 7th AIELN Conference on 9-10 December 2021. The theme of the Conference is “Building a Sustainable Future: New Asian Regionalism in International Economic Law.” The virtual conference aims to provide an interdisciplinary forum for academics, private practitioners, and government officials to present works in progress across the spectrum of international economic law issues related to Asia.
II. Submission of Paper Proposals
The organizing committee welcomes proposals on the following areas of international economic law:
1. New Asian regionalism (e.g., developments in ASEAN, the CPTPP, the RCEP and digital economy agreements; investment liberalization and protection including ISDS and the Investment Court System)
2. Trade and sustainable development (e.g., Asian countries’ approaches to environmental sustainability, fisheries subsidies, forest management and food security)
3. Legal responses to COVID-19 (e.g., TRIPS waiver for vaccines, tariffs and non-tariff barriers imposed on medical devices, and investment in the healthcare and technology sectors)
4. International monetary and financial law (e.g., AI in finance; central bank digital currencies; sustainable finance and financial inclusion)
5. Other aspects of Asia’s new economic order (e.g., US-China trade tensions; Indo-Pacific policies of ASEAN, the US and the EU; trade disputes and strategies of Australia, India, Japan, Korea and Taiwan)
III. Key Dates
Paper proposals of no more than 500 words must be submitted by 30 September 2021, using the online submission form (https://forms.gle/ingAMKo2FjEKS1rJ8). Please also provide a short biography including recent publications in English. The organizing committee will select proposals and announce the results in October 2021. Paper presenters are required to submit complete, unpublished papers by 1 December 2021.
More information can be found at: https://ccla.smu.edu.sg/call-papers-7th-asian-international-economic-law-network-aieln-conference-building-sustainable and belowAIELN Call for Papers 2021